It surely is the most important decision you will ever make…
No I don’t mean choosing to get married or have a baby, I am of course talking about choosing your wedding dress!
In all serious of course the answer is no, we all know there are far more important and worth things to worry ourselves about that a wedding dress but when you are faced with the prospect as a newly engaged person I think we can all agree it might send you a little crazy… well it did me!
You want to look your best, you want to maximise the opportunity to wear the most special item of clothing you will probably ever own, you want to get it right because it will be on photos that will be looked at, hopefully, for the rest of your life and by those we leave behind as a memoir of our former selves. And, lets face it, they can end up being a stinking load of cash. Even when you didn’t intend it to be.
There are millions of amazing wedding dresses out there, to suit every budget and style preference. But if like me, the prospect of beginning that search feels a little overwhelming or if also like me you thought you knew what you wanted then somewhere in the middle things got a bit confusing and you’re not sure where it’s all going i have some ideas that could help you. These are my musings for staying calm and most importantly true to yourself when choosing that all important wedding dress.
- Take someone you trust shopping, not someone who’s own agenda and style is going to overpower you (sorry Mum’s I’m looking at you here).
- Take your time, unless your wedding is imminent there is time to find the right dress. If you’re not sure DON’T put a deposit down on anything! You can try on a dress as many times as you want before you buy it.
- Look in unexpected places, try on dresses that might be out of your comfort zone, you could find something you love.
- Don’t even entertain dresses you can’t afford, stick to your budget, it’s only a dress at the end of the day.
- You might not get the “this is the one” feeling. I know many brides who didn’t have it, I did not get that feeling and it made me panic. Don’t panic! As long as you have it for your partner that’s all that matters!
- Don’t be afraid to show your own style, if your style is classic great, if it’s not don’t try and be classic. I think playing it safe because you don’t want to look dated in a few years is something that worries us all. However, your w-day is a testament to who you are here and now, your personality should shine through.
Good luck and don’t forget to enjoy!